History adapted from a synopsis written by former Pastor Jack Rule:
Our first Church home was in the Hatmaker house. This lasted only a short while, because, the homeowner ordered an end to revival meetings on her property. So, in 1889, twenty-four men and many women gathered at Wood Hollow near Effort to build a meeting room 16 ft. by 22 ft. that cost $28.66. We met there until cold weather forced us to meet in the Gillespie home. Then in 1891 our first sanctuary was built.
After 104 years of service and seven major building campaigns, we consecrated our present Church Sanctuary and Pavilion on November 18th, 1995. Cost of the Sanctuary was $710,000, and the Pavilion was $40,000. The Fellowship Hall with kitchen were added to the first Sanctuary in 1985 and Wesley Hall was added to our present Sanctuary in 1998. Effort United Methodist Church has been served by 35 Pastors, beginning with Rev. Joseph W. Hudson in 1892 to its present Pastor, Rev. Robin G. Fisher, 2010 – Present.